Relax, you're in safe hands
We’re pleased to tell you that SSE has been appointed by energy regulator Ofgem to take over your energy supply, including customers supplied under Northumbria Energy whose supply started before 15 March 2019. Northumbria Energy partnered with Brilliant Energy to offer energy tariffs under what’s called a ‘white label’ arrangement.
We know switching supplier like this can be concerning, but don't worry – your energy supply won't be interrupted. And any credit balances you have with Brilliant Energy or Northumbria Energy are safe.
You can find out more information on the Ofgem website.
Millions of people trust us with their energy
There are some great reasons to stay with SSE, like access to presale tickets to some of the UK’s biggest acts through SSE Reward.1
SSE currently has a score of 4.4 out of 5 awarded by Citizens Advice, making us second overall and the best performing large energy supplier. We also score 5 out of 5 for easier switching, having fewer complaints and our customer guarantees. And we've won three awards in the uSwitch Energy Awards 2019, including “Supplier of the Year” in the Large Supplier category.
What happens next?
- We’ll send you a Welcome pack in the next few days with the date when we’ll finish setting up your account. Your account should be fully set up between 9 and 12 April.
- If you haven’t already done so, please give us your current meter reading. We may need it to make sure you’re billed accurately.
- Once your energy supply has switched to us, you'll be on our Standard variable tariff. You can switch to another tariff after your account is fully set up.
- If you have a Direct Debit set up with Brilliant Energy or Northumbria Energy, please don’t cancel it. We’re working with Brilliant Energy to transfer customer Direct Debits to SSE to ensure you keep paying for your energy. We’ll make sure only one payment per month per fuel is taken from your account and you won’t pay both companies at the same time.
- If you have closed your Direct Debit, please complete this form to set up a new one with SSE. Please wait until you receive your Welcome pack with your SSE account numbers, as you’ll need these to set up your Direct Debit online.
- If you have a smart meter, it may lose some functionality. But we should be able to fix it after your account is fully set up.
We’ll send you all the information you need about your SSE account. For any urgent questions, you can call us on 0345 073 7729. We're open 8am to 10pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 6pm on Saturdays.
What if I want to switch tariff or energy supplier after transferring to you?
Once your account has been set up, you can switch to one of our other tariffs.
We hope you’ll stay with us and take advantage of our deals. But if you do decide to switch to another supplier, please wait until your account set-up is complete. That way we can sort out any credit you might have built up with your old supplier. You won’t be charged an exit fee if you do decide to switch.
Don’t worry if you'd already switched supplier before Brilliant Energy ceased trading. Your switch is still in progress and you'll continue to be moved to your chosen supplier.
What if my account was in credit or debt?
We’re waiting for Brilliant Energy and Northumbria Energy to finalise your customer accounts up to 15 March and confirm the credit balance to us. This might take a few weeks, but please be reassured you’ll get your money back.
If you've already had a final bill and were in credit, we'll check to make sure it’s accurate and refund this to you as soon as we can.
If you were in debt with your old supplier, you won't need to pay back this debt to us, but you might still need to pay it back to your old supplier. Look out for your final bill from them.
Make sure you know your rights
It's easy to get free, independent advice at any stage so that you know your rights as an energy consumer. You might want to get a better deal, find out how to make a complaint, get advice about the quality of your electricity or gas supply, or ask for help if you’re struggling to pay your bills.
Visit the Citizens Advice website for up-to-date information. Or contact the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if I'm moving home?
If you’re moving home, please let us know your new address, so we can send our letters there. You might want to get your post redirected to make sure you don't miss anything important.
When will I get my first bill?
We'll send you an energy bill every quarter. You’ll receive your first bill within three months of joining us, once your account has been set up.
What’s happening with my old contract and rates?
You’re being switched to SSE’s Standard variable tariff. You’ll find full details on your energy rates in our Welcome pack.
What’s happening with my credit balance?
Your credit balance is being transferred to SSE. Once we’ve reviewed it, you’ll see it on your final bill from Brilliant Energy or Northumbria Energy and your first bill from us.
What about my Warm Home Discount payment?
We’ll honour Warm Home Discount payments to all eligible customers. We'll let you know more soon.
I had a smart meter appointment booked with Brilliant Energy or Northumbria Energy, will this still happen?
No, but we’ll be happy to arrange a new appointment to install a smart meter with you once your switch has completed.
How do I know what my account number/customer number is?
We’ll send you all the information you need about your new account and tariff.
Can I manage my SSE energy account online?
Yes, we’ll provide you with more information around setting up your online account. If you manage your account online, you can:
- View your energy bills – make payments and download bills.
- Give us a meter reading – get an instant, up-to-date balance and more accurate bills.
- Update your account details – view and change your personal details or password.
1 Subject to availability. Terms and conditions apply.