You may be aware that your current energy supplier, Brilliant Energy, ceased trading recently.
We’re pleased to let you know that SSE has been appointed by energy regulator Ofgem to take over responsibility for your energy supply, including customers supplied under the white label arrangement with Northumbria Energy whose supply started before 15th March 2019.
We know switching suppliers like this could be worrying, but your gas and electricity supplies won't be interrupted. Any credit balances you have with Brilliant Energy and Northumbria Energy are also secure.
What happens next?
- Your energy supply has already switched to us. We're now in the process of setting up your account. You'll receive a letter from us in the next few weeks with the date when your SSE account will be fully set up. Don’t worry, you won’t notice any difference to your supply, and your gas and electricity will still be there whenever you need it.
- You’ll be switched to our Standard variable tariff. You’ll be able to switch to another tariff if you want, but only after your account is fully set up.
- If you haven’t already, please take a meter reading today and keep a note of it. We'll ask you for a meter reading when your account is fully set up. This is so we can bill you correctly.
We’ll send you all the information you need around your SSE account. For any urgent enquiries, you can call us on 0345 073 7729. We're open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturdays.
You can find out more information on the Ofgem website.
Who is SSE?
There are lots of great reasons to stay with SSE:
- Millions of customers trust us with their energy supply.
- Get access to presale tickets to some of the UK's biggest acts through SSE Reward.1
- Find all the information you need online, or by calling one of our call centres.
SSE is currently awarded a score of 4.4 out of 5 by Citizens Advice, making us second overall and the best performing large energy supplier. We also score 5 out of 5 for easier switching, having fewer complaints and our customer guarantees.
Switching tariffs and suppliers after transferring to us
Once your account has been set up, you can switch to one of our other tariffs.
We hope you’ll stay with us and take advantage of our deals. But if you do decide to switch to another supplier, please wait until your account set-up is complete. That way we can sort out any credit you might have built up with your old supplier. You won’t be charged an exit fee if you do decide to switch.
Don’t worry if you'd already switched suppliers before Brilliant Energy ceased trading. Your switch is still in progress and you'll continue to be moved to your chosen supplier.
Accounts in credit or debit
If you were in credit with your old supplier
If you had any credit built up with your old supplier, we'll do some checking to make sure it’s accurate and add this to your account with us.
If you've already left your supplier and were in credit
If you've already had a final bill and were in credit, we'll do some checking to make sure it’s accurate and refund this to you as soon as we can.
If you were in debt with your old supplier
You won't need to pay back this debit to us, but you might need to pay it back to your old supplier. Look out for your final bill from them.
We’ll be in touch soon about setting up your new energy account and your Direct Debit. If you don't want to set up a Direct Debit, there are lots of other ways to pay for your energy bill, but please wait until your account set up Is complete.
If you’re moving, please let us know your new address, so we can send our letters there. You might want to get your post redirected to make sure you don't miss anything important.
What’s happening with my old contract and rates?
You’re being switched to SSE’s standard variable plan. You’ll find full details on your energy rates in our Welcome pack.
What’s happening with my credit balance?
Your credit balance is being transferred to SSE, and once we’ve reviewed it, you’ll see it on your final bill from Brilliant Energy and Northumbria Energy and your first bill from us.
What about my Warm Home Discount payment?
Don’t worry, we’ll be honouring all Warm Home Discount payments to all eligible customers. More details will follow.
I had a smart meter appointment booked with Brilliant Energy and Northumbria Energy, will this still happen?
Unfortunately not, but we’d be happy to arrange a new appointment to install a smart meter with you once your switch has completed.
How do I know what my account number/customer number is?
We’ll send you all the information you need about your new account and tariff.
Can I manage my SSE energy account online?
Yes, we’ll provide you with more information around setting up your online account. If you manage your account online, you can:
- View your energy bills – make payments and download bills.
- Give us a meter reading – get an instant, up-to-date balance and more accurate bills.
- Update your account details – view and change your personal details or password.
Know your rights
It's easy to get free, independent advice at any stage so that you know your rights as an energy consumer. You might want to get a better deal, find out how to make a complaint, get advice about the quality of your electricity or gas supply, or ask for help if you’re struggling to pay your bills.
To know your rights visit the Citizens Advice website for up to date information. Or you can contact the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06.
1 Subject to availability. Terms and conditions apply.