With a smart Pay As You Go meter and an In-Home Display you can easily view and manage your energy usage. We've created some content to help you get the most from your meter:
“How do I top up my smart Pay As You Go meter?”
“How do I find out how much credit I have left?”
“I've run out of emergency credit. What should I do?”
“Why is my In-Home Display showing a blank screen?”
“Why is my smart Pay As You Go meter showing a blank screen?”
“I need help with something else.”
“I need to top up my smart Pay As You Go (Prepayment) meter”
Your In-Home Display will alert you when your Pay As You Go (Prepayment) credit is running low, so you always know when it’s time to top up.
There are a few simple ways you can top up your smart Pay As You Go meter:
- The easiest way is to use our SSE Top-Up app which you can download below.
- It’s also simple to top up online.
- Take your top-up card along to any Post Office branch or any shop that offers PayPoint.
When you've topped up, we'll add your credit remotely, so you don't need to do anything with your meter. It can take up to 40 minutes for your top-up to reach your smart Pay As You Go meter.
“What if the top-up hasn't gone on my meter?”
It can take up to 40 minutes for your top-up to reach your smart Pay As You Go meter. If it’s been longer than 40 minutes and the top-up still hasn’t gone through, you can use your 20-digit top-up code instead – also known as the Unique Transaction Reference Number (UTRN).
There’s a number of ways to top up using a top-up code. Just click the link and scroll down to the “Top up with a top-up code section”.
Use the SSE Top-Up app to top up
It's free to register and simple to use. Top up anytime, anywhere, straight from your smartphone.
Securely save your payment details to your account and you'll be able to top up your smart Pay As You Go (Prepayment) meter in seconds. No more worrying about lost top-up cards.
“I need to find out how much credit I have left”
If you have an In-Home Display, follow these steps to see your remaining credit:
- Press the Home button.
- Scroll to “Meter balance” and press the Circle button.
- Scroll to your fuel type (gas or electricity) and press the Circle button.
If you use up all your credit you will need to activate emergency credit. Make sure you check your credit regularly and top up when you’re running low to stay on-supply.
Has your energy supply switched off? Find out how to reconnect your supply with a smart Pay As You Go meter.
“I've run out of emergency credit”
If the emergency credit on your Smart Pay As You Go meter runs out overnight or during the weekend, our friendly credit period will keep your supply on so you have more time to top up.
Friendly credit is just a little extra energy to keep you going until you can top up your meter.
You'll get this from evening to morning on weekdays and all weekend, as long as your smart Pay As You Go meter has credit when the friendly credit period begins.
- 6pm Monday to 9am Tuesday
- 6pm Tuesday to 9am Wednesday
- 6pm Wednesday to 9am Thursday
- 6pm Thursday to 9am Friday
- 6pm Friday to 9am Monday (or Tuesday, when the Monday is a Bank Holiday)
Please top up as soon as possible. If you're unable to top up, you can contact us about further support. You'll need to pay back any credit you borrow, but we can spread the cost so you pay a little bit at a time. We’ll make sure your repayment plan is affordable.
“My In-Home Display is showing a blank screen or no balances”
This could be resolved by performing a Power Cycle:
- Disconnect the USB cable from the power port of your In-Home Display.
- Leave the cable disconnected for 60 seconds.
- Before reconnecting, bring the In-Home Display close to your electricity smart Pay As You Go meter.
- Reconnect the USB cable to the power port of the In-Home Display.
- Your In-Home Display should reconnect within 2 minutes, but if you weren't seeing any balances, these might take up to 30 minutes to appear.
“My meter is showing a blank screen”
If your meter is showing a blank screen, it may mean that your meter is in sleep mode. Press one of the buttons on the meter to wake it.
When the meters wake up, if the word “OFF” is showing on the screen, you will need to re-enable your supply.
Need help with something else?
Run out of credit on your smart Pay As You Go meter? Follow the instructions in this guide to re-enable your supply.
Activating emergency credit
Start using emergency credit on your gas or electricity Pay As You Go meter quickly and easily through your In-Home Display.
There's lots of ways to top up your smart Pay As You Go meter. The simplest way is to use our SSE Top-Up app or to top up online.