What happens after you've booked your smart meter installation
You'll receive confirmation of the date and time of your appointment. We'll then send you reminders as it gets closer to the installation.
One important thing to remember: if you or anyone in your household becomes unwell before your appointment, unfortunately it will need to be rescheduled. You can reschedule online or you can give us a call on 0345 071 7892 and we’ll be able to help with this.
What you need to do before your smart meter installation
- Open any external windows and doors in the area where your smart meter(s) is being installed.
- Clear any obstacles so our engineer can safely get to your current meters, boiler and any other gas appliances.
- We'll need someone over 18 to be there while we install your smart meter, so please arrange this beforehand.
- Keep children and pets at a safe distance from the work.
- Be prepared – your power will be turned off for about one hour during the installation.
- Please have a phone handy in case your engineer needs to speak to you during the installation.
- Keep a lookout for our SSE van. The engineer will be wearing an SSE uniform, and for your peace of mind, our engineers always carry an ID badge that they'll show you at the door.
What happens on the day of your smart meter installation
- Your engineer will call you on the way to your home to make a final check of the health of the household and to remind you about social distancing guidelines.
- Your engineer will thoroughly disinfect their tools and equipment before arriving at your home.
- They’ll also complete a thorough risk assessment. If they find that a mask is not required to complete the installation, they’ll still ask you if you’d prefer that they wear a mask anyway. If the answer is yes, they’ll wear a face mask for the duration of the installation.
- All engineers will use antibacterial hand sanitiser and will wear gloves at all times.
- Our engineer will first do a visual inspection to check your boiler and other gas appliances are working correctly.
- They'll also take a final reading from your old meters before your smart meter installation. This way we can make sure your account is up to date.
- If your meter is located outside of your property, then you will have minimal contact with the engineer.
- After these checks, our engineer will get started on installing your smart meter. It'll take around two hours.
- The engineer will need to switch the electricity and gas off for around half an hour. They'll let you know before doing this, just in case you want to pop the kettle on beforehand.
- If your engineer needs to enter your home, they will ask you to wait in another room to comply with social distancing guidelines.
- Final checks
- When your engineer has finished installing your electricity and gas smart meters, they'll check everything thoroughly.
- If you've got any mains connected alarms, it's worth double checking they're working correctly.
What happens after your smart meter installation
Once they've finished the installation, and if they are able to comply with social distancing guidelines, your engineer will explain to you how your new smart meters work and how to use the In-Home Display, if you've chosen to have one.
They'll also give you a few tips on how to save energy around the house. You might also find our energy saving advice helpful in saving on energy costs.
Before leaving your home, your engineer will wipe down all surfaces they have been in contact with using disinfectant wipes.
Shortly after, we'll send you a survey so you can tell us what you think about our service during your smart meter upgrade.
Smart metering code of practice
We're a signatory of the Smart Metering Installation Code of Practice (SMICoP). This means we're committed to making your smart meter installation as smooth as possible throughout the process.
We promise to:
- Arrange your smart meter installation for a time that suits you
- Provide all the information you need in good time
- Show you how to use and make the most of your smart meter to help improve the energy efficiency of your home
- Ensure our engineers are trained to give you a high quality service
Still need to upgrade to a smart meter?
Smart meter help and support
Help with your smart meter
How do I get started with my smart meter?
When we install your smart meter, our engineer will explain how it works. We'll also give you an In-Home Display, if you'd like one. It's a handy little wireless device that connects to your meters and shows how much energy you're using. Our engineer will talk you through how your smart meter and In-Home Display work together. You can also download our In-Home Display full user guide.
Do I need one smart meter for gas and another for electricity?
We replace both your meters, one for gas and one for electricity. But you need only one In-Home Display to show how much energy you’re using.
Do I need an internet connection and WiFi for a smart meter?
Smart meters contain a SIM card, like a mobile phone. They use their own secure wireless networks to ‘talk’ to your In-Home Display and to us, so you don't need an internet connection or WiFi for it to work.
Will I still get bills for gas and electricity?
You'll still receive regular bills as you do now, either online or by post. The difference is that smart meters send us regular, accurate meter readings, so you shouldn't receive any more estimated bills.
What is the Smart Meter Data Charter?
We’re committed to keeping your personal information safe. Our Smart Meter Data Charter sets out the standards you can expect from us when we ask for and store your personal information. What's more, smart meters work on separate, secure networks.
What is the Smart Metering Installation Code of Practice?
We're a signatory of the Smart Metering Installation Code of Practice. This means you can be sure you'll receive a high standard of service from us throughout the installation process and that you know how to use, and benefit from, your smart metering equipment to help improve the energy efficiency of your home.
Help with your smart Pay As You Go meter
To upgrade your Pay As You Go meter to a smart Pay As You Go meter, book your installation online.
Smart meters send us readings automatically
We rely on a mobile phone or wireless signal to get your smart meter readings. If these fail, you'll either need to take your own reading and send it to us, or your bills will be estimated.