What happens when you get a smart meter installed
Once we've confirmed your appointment for a smart meter installation, we'll send you reminders two weeks before, and further reminders one week and the day before your gas and electricity smart meter upgrade.
What you need to do before the appointment
- Please make sure our engineer has easy access to your current meter.
- We'll need someone over 18 to be there while we install your smart meter technology, do please arrange this beforehand.
- Please pop any pets in a separate room so our engineer can work safely. We love pets, but sometimes they don't love us.
- Keep a lookout for our SSE van. The engineer will be wearing an SSE uniform, and for your peace of mind, our engineers always carry an ID badge that they'll show you at the door.
Your smart meter installation step by step
- Inspection – Our engineer will first do a visual inspection to check your boiler and other gas appliances are working correctly. They'll also take a final reading from your old meters before your smart meter installation. This way we can make sure your account is up to date.
- Installation – After these checks, our engineer will get started on installing your smart meter. It'll take around two hours, and the engineer will need to switch the electricity and gas off for around half an hour. They'll let you know before doing this, just in case you want to pop the kettle on beforehand.
- Final checks – When the engineer has finished installing your electricity and gas smart meters, they'll check everything thoroughly. You'll then be up and running. If you've got any mains connected alarms, it's worth double checking they're working correctly.
After your smart meter installation
Once they've finished the installation, our engineer will explain to you how your new smart meters work and how to use the smart meter in home display, the Smart Energy Tracker, if you've chosen to have one.
They'll also give you a few tips on how to save energy around the house. You might also find our energy saving advice helpful in saving on energy costs.
Shortly after, we'll send you a survey so you can tell us what you think about our service during your smart meter upgrade.
Smart metering code of practice
We're a signatory of the Smart Metering Installation Code of Practice (SMICoP). This means we're committed to making your smart meter installation as smooth as possible throughout the process.
We promise to:
- Arrange your energy smart meter installation for a time that suits you
- Provide all the information you need in good time
- Show you how to use and make the most of your smart metering kit to help improve the energy efficiency of your home
- Ensure our engineers are trained to give you a high quality service
Smart meters: do you need to know more?
Still haven't booked your smart meter installation?
Smart meter help and support
Help with your smart meter
How do I get started with my smart meter?
When we install your smart meter, our engineer will explain how it works. We'll also give you a Smart Energy Tracker, if you'd like one. It's a handy little wireless device that connects to your meters and shows how much energy you're using. Our engineer will talk you through how your smart meter and Smart Energy Tracker work together. You can also download our Smart Energy Tracker - Quick-start guide or Smart Energy Tracker - Full user guide. If your smart meters were installed a while ago, you might have a different device called a Smart Energy Monitor.
Do I need one smart meter for gas and another for electricity?
Yes. We replace both your meters, one for gas and one for electricity. But you need only one in-home display (Smart Energy Tracker or Smart Energy Monitor) to show how much energy you’re using.
Do I need an internet connection and WiFi for a smart meter?
No. Smart meters contain a SIM card, like a mobile phone. They use their own secure wireless networks to ‘talk’ to your Smart Energy Tracker and to us, so you don't need an internet connection or WiFi for it to work.
Will I still get bills for gas and electricity?
Yes. You'll still receive regular bills as you do now, either online or by post. The difference is that smart meters send us regular, accurate meter readings, so you shouldn't receive any more estimated bills.
Can I get a smart meter installed if I'm renting?
Yes. If you pay your energy bills and they're addressed to you, not your landlord, you are entitled to ask your energy supplier for a smart meter. You don't have to ask permission, but it's a good idea to let your landlord know.
Do I have to have a smart meter?
No. You're not legally obliged to have a smart meter installed, but everyone will be offered the chance to upgrade to a smart meter by their energy supplier by the end of 2020. If you don't want a smart meter, you'll continue to use your current meters until their certification expires. For more information on the smart meter rollout, visit Smart Energy GB.
Are smart meters safe?
Yes. Smart meters have undergone rigorous testing under UK and EU product safety law. Public Health England, part of the UK Department of Health, has studied the evidence and said smart meters pose no danger to your health. Smart meters emit radio waves like mobile phones, but only in short bursts. And they're not as close to your body. You should get less exposure to radio waves from your smart meter than from your mobile phone. For more details, see the government guidance on Smart meters: radio waves and health.
What is the Smart Meter Data Charter?
We’re committed to keeping your personal information safe. Our Smart Meter Data Charter sets out the standards you can expect from us when we ask for and store your personal information. What's more, smart meters work on separate, secure networks.
What is the Smart Metering Installation Code of Practice?
We're a signatory of the Smart Metering Installation Code of Practice. This means you can be sure you'll receive a high standard of service from us throughout the installation process and that you know how to use, and benefit from, your smart metering equipment to help improve the energy efficiency of your home.
Help with your smart Pay As You Go meter
To upgrade your Pay As You Go meter to a smart Pay As You Go meter, call us today on 0345 071 7842.