Our call features let you make the most of your talk phone package. You can control who contacts you with features like ‘Choose to Refuse’ and 'Anonymous call rejection'. You can use features like ‘Call Diversion’ and 'Call Waiting' to make sure you never miss a call. And you can set up an answerphone service with ‘1571 voicemail’ or 'Call Minder'. Find about all the call features we have in the detailed list below.
Some features are included in your phone package, others may involve an extra charge. You can find details of our phone feature costs in the Product and Price guides on our phone regulatory page.
Call features that come with our phone services
- Caller Display ID - See the phone number that’s ringing you with our Caller Display ID service. You’ll need a phone with a display to use this.
- 141 – Temporary number withhold - You can use this to withhold your number for one call only.
- Permanent number withold (Optional feature on request) - Set this up to hide your phone number whenever you make a call. You can override it for individual calls if you need to.
- Choose to refuse (Optional feature on request) - Stop up to 10 numbers getting through to your phone. If anyone calls you from a number you’ve chosen to block, they’ll get a message saying their call hasn’t been accepted.
- Anonymous call request (Optional feature on request) - This service automatically blocks calls from anyone who withholds their number.
- 1471 see who's called - With this feature, you can find out the phone number of the last person that called you. Just dial 1471. This won't reveal withheld numbers however.
Call features that may involve an extra charge
Get in touch with us to add or remove any of these features:
- 1571 - voicemail - This offers you a voicemail service. Just dial 1571 to listen to your voicemail messages. If you have messages, you'll hear an interrupted dial tone when you pick up your phone.
- 3-way calling - 3-way calling lets you speak to two people on the same call.
- Call barring - With call barring you control the type of calls your phone can make. For example, you could bar calls to premium rate numbers or international numbers. Note: Customer-controlled call barring is not available where SSE has already applied call barring, such as with phone contracts where premium rate numbers are blocked by default.
- Call diversion - Divert calls coming into your home phone to another number, like your mobile or work phone. You can even divert calls to an overseas number.
- Smart Divert - Divert incoming landline calls to any other UK landline or mobile number even when you’re away from home. You can securely manage where calls go to even when you’re out and about by using a special security PIN we will give you when you request this feature.
- Call minder - Pick up your message from any phone, including your mobile, using a PIN. You can also record your own personal answerphone message.
- Call sign - With Call Sign we give you a second phone number with a different ringtone. That way you know who's calling before you answer the phone.
- Call waiting - Hear a discreet beep if someone else calls when you're already on a call. And you can put your current call on hold to answer the other one.
- Reminder call - With Reminder call, you can use your phone like an alarm clock and set up alarms when you need them.
- Ring back - If you call someone who's engaged, you can use our Ringback service. Once their line is free, your phone will ring you back.
How to set up and use our call features
Our call features PDF explains how to set up all of our call features. You can print it out to keep near your phone in case you ever need to check it.
Some of our call features are useful when dealing with nuisance calls. Read our article on unwanted phone calls for more help and advice.