Whether you've got a technical issue with your broadband or want to know more about our packages, we have all the information you need below.
1. Which SSE Phone & Broadband package is right for me?
We offer standard fibre and Full Fibre packages.
These are our standard fibre broadband packages:
- Unlimited Broadband – this package comes with unlimited downloads and average speeds of 11Mbps. It’s the ideal package for your everyday internet usage.
- Unlimited Fibre – If you use the internet for streaming, downloading large files, or watching catch-up TV, then you’ll need more speed and stability. This package comes with unlimited downloads and average speeds of 35Mbps.
- Unlimited Fibre Plus – Unlimited Fibre Plus is great if your internet is used by a few people at the same time. With unlimited downloads and average speeds of 63Mbps, you can download big files while someone else is watching a film in Ultra HD.
For fibre broadband, the speeds noted above are average speeds at times of peak usage. These are subject to our Broadband Acceptable Use Policy. An indication of the speed you may receive will be provided at point of sale. Actual speeds are dependent upon the length and quality of the copper line between your home and your exchange or street cabinet as well as environmental factors within your home such as Wi-Fi interference and your in-home wiring, as well as congestion on the service you are accessing.
If you're looking for faster speeds, top reliability and for lots more people to be online on multiple devices, our Full Fibre packages could be ideal for you:
- Full Fibre 100 - this package is great for small families, or a couple working from home. It lets you stream 4K films and TV shows, and big video meetings.
- Full Fibre 200 - ideal for larger families who use the internet on a variety of devices. With Full Fibre 200 you can stream 4K, browse and play online games with ease.
- Full Fibre 500 - with this package you can play online games, stream 4K on multiple devices and have up to five people working from home at the same time.
- Full Fibre 900 - this is our fastest ever broadband package. It’s ideal for big households where lots of people are online, all streaming and downloading at once.
With any of the above broadband products, you can choose one of the four phone options below:
- Line Rental Only – Any calls you make are on a ‘pay-as-you-go’ rate, so you only pay for what you use.
- Evening & Weekend – Inclusive local, national and UK mobile calls from 7pm to 7am weekdays and anytime at weekends up to midnight Sunday. Maximum duration for inclusive calls – 70 minutes per call. Standard charge applies thereafter.
- Anytime – Inclusive local, national and UK mobile calls at any time. Maximum duration for inclusive calls – 70 minutes per call. Standard charge applies thereafter.
- Anytime Plus – Inclusive calls to local, national, UK mobiles and to 50 Band A international destinations at any time. Maximum duration for inclusive calls – 70 minutes per call. Standard charge applies thereafter.
2. How long is my contract?
There is an 18-month fixed-term contract on our Unlimited Broadband, Unlimited Fibre, and Unlimited FIbre Plus broadband packages. The underlying phone line contract is non-fixed term.
Our Full Fibre packages are all 24-month fixed term contracts.
3. Can I cancel my order?
The following charges may apply following cancellation of the broadband contract:
If you cancel your broadband order before your service start date, there will be no charge unless you have already received your router and you do not return this to us. When you notify us of your cancellation, we will send you a prepaid postage envelope for the return of the router. Should you not return your router within 30 working days an equipment charge of £54 will be added to your account.
For Unlimited Broadband, Unlimited Fibre and Unlimited Fibre Plus - for termination at any point between the broadband service start date and the end of the 18th month of the contract there is an early termination charge for every day remaining of the contract. This is 39p per day (on average £11.86 per month) for (20) Unlimited Fibre and (20) Unlimited Broadband with a maximum charge of £213.53 per contract. For (20) Unlimited Fibre Plus, it’s 44p per day (on average £13.38 per month) with a maximum charge of £240.90 per contract. These charges are not subject to VAT.
For all Full Fibre broadband packages - for termination at any point between the broadband service start date and the end of the twenty-fourth month of the contract there is an early termination charge for every day remaining of the contract. This is 37p per day (on average £11.18 per month) for Full Fibre 100, 44p per day (on average £13.48 per month) for Full Fibre 200, 48p per day (on average £14.58 per month) for Full Fibre 500, and 56p per day (on average £17.08 per month) for Full Fibre 900. These charges are inclusive of VAT.
These packages are covered by our ‘Happiness Guarantee’ promise, which waives termination charges applicable on your contract if you decide to leave due to dissatisfaction with the broadband service provided by SSE. The ‘Happiness Guarantee’ applies only to the first 60 days of this fixed term contract. More details can be found on our website, on the broadband regulatory page.
SSE Broadband Happiness Guarantee
Customers signing up for SSE fixed-term broadband and phone package bundles can leave their contract without early termination charges if, within the first 60 days, they are not happy with any aspect of the service they have received, and we have been unable to fix the problem. Happiness Guarantee full details
4. Do I have to be an existing customer?
Our standard fibre broadband and phone packages are open to all new and existing SSE Energy Services customers, regardless of whether you have an existing energy account.
At present, our Full Fibre broadband packages are only available to new customers, but again you don’t have to be with SSE Energy Services for your energy.
5. Is there a limit to the amount I can download?
All of our broadband packages come with unlimited downloads. But the speed of your downloads may vary during the day. So this affects the amount of data downloadable on any day. For more information, please read our Broadband Acceptable Use Policy.
6. What speed will my broadband be?
Your speed will vary depending on the package you choose. Our packages use either ADSL, Fibre-to-the-Cabinet or Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) connections to send data through cables from street cabinets to your home. Your connection may also depend on how far away your home is from these cabinets. Things like the wiring in your home, electrical interference, the weather, other internet traffic will also affect your broadband speeds. FTTP connections use fibre optic right into your home, so the distance from the cabinet won’t be an issue. However there are still factors that can affect your broadband speed, such as network capacity, issues with the setup in your home, or your own device’s limitations. Our line checker can give you an estimate for the typical speed your line should support.
7. What does my wireless router do and can I use a different one?
Your wireless router allows you to connect to your broadband. It’ll set itself up automatically, as long as you have it plugged in, according to the instructions. You can access the internet wirelessly using security keys that come with the router. The security keys protect your wireless network, so it can’t be accessed by other people. You can still connect your device to your router using an ethernet cable if you want a faster connection.
You can also use your own router if you’ve already got one. Get in touch and we’ll tell you how to connect it. But it’s worth noting that if you don’t use our router, it’ll be difficult for us to help if you get a fault.
8. How do I switch my phone and broadband to you?
9. How long does it take to get your phone & broadband service?
Switching to SSE takes around 18 days for most customers. We'll let you know if you need a new line installed when you sign up - an engineering appointment will be arranged for you. We'll send you your start date confirmation around 10 days after you sign up.
10. Do I need a BT line to get your phone and broadband service?
Yes, you’ll need a BT landline or other non-cable telephone line. If you don’t have one, get in touch and we’ll sort one out for you. To check your line, just use our availability checker.
11. What equipment will I get when I buy your phone and broadband?
We'll send you a pack that contains everything you need to get online: wireless router and power supply, filter, network and DSL cables and an easy-to-follow installation guide.
12. What is a micro-filter?
A microfilter or splitter plugs into your telephone connection. It splits the connection between your router and phone so they don’t interfere with each other. Without it, you’d have problems with your phone and broadband service.