Whether you've got a technical issue with your broadband or want to know more about our packages, we have all the information you need below.
1. Which SSE Phone & Broadband package is right for me?
- Unlimited Broadband – Comes with unlimited downloads and average speeds of 11Mbps. Whether you’re browsing, watching films or just catching up with friends online, it’s the ideal package for your everyday internet usage.
- Unlimited Fibre – If you use the internet for streaming, downloading large files, watching catch-up TV or online gaming, then you’ll need more speed and stability. With unlimited downloads and average speeds of 35Mbps, our Unlimited Fibre could be your best choice.
- Unlimited Fibre Plus – Unlimited Fibre Plus is the perfect package if your internet is used by lots of people at the same time. With unlimited downloads and average speeds of 63Mbps, you can download big files while someone else is watching a film in Ultra HD. If you have a number of friends and family using the internet, this could be the best choice for you.
The broadband speeds noted above are average speeds at times of peak usage. These are subject to our Broadband Traffic Management Policy and Acceptable Use Policy. Further details can be found here. An indication of the speed you may receive will be provided at point of sale. Actual speeds are dependent upon the length and quality of the copper line between your home and your exchange or street cabinet as well as environmental factors within your home such as Wi-Fi interference and your in-home wiring, as well as congestion on the service you are accessing.
With any of the above broadband products, you can choose one of the four phone options below:
- Line Rental Only – Any calls you make are on a ‘pay-as-you-go’ rate, so you only pay for what you use.
- Evening & Weekend – Inclusive local, national and UK mobile calls from 7pm to 7am weekdays and anytime at weekends up to midnight Sunday. Maximum duration for inclusive calls – 70 minutes per call. Standard charge applies thereafter.
- Anytime – Inclusive local, national and UK mobile calls at any time. Maximum duration for inclusive calls – 70 minutes per call. Standard charge applies thereafter.
- Anytime Plus – Inclusive calls to local, national, UK mobiles and to 35 Band A international destinations at any time. Maximum duration for inclusive calls – 70 minutes per call. Standard charge applies thereafter.
2. How long is my contract?
There is an 18-month fixed-term contract on our 18 range broadband packages. The underlying phone line contract is non-fixed term.
3. Can I cancel my order?
Charges may apply following cancellation of the broadband contract:
If you cancel your broadband order before your start date, there will be no charge unless you have already received your router and you do not return it to us. When you notify us of your cancellation, we will send you a prepaid postage envelope for the return of your router. Should you not return your router within 30 working days, an equipment charge of £54 will be added to your account.
For cancellation after the start date, an early termination charge will apply as detailed in the price guide pdf for the product range you are signed up to, which can be found here.
SSE Broadband Happiness Guarantee
Customers signing up for SSE fixed-term broadband and phone package bundles can leave their contract without early termination charges if, within the first 60 days, they are not happy with any aspect of the service they have received, and we have been unable to fix the problem. Happiness Guarantee full details
4. Do I have to be an existing customer?
No, these broadband and phone packages are open to all new and existing SSE customers, regardless of whether you have an existing energy account.
5. Is there a limit to the amount I can download?
All of our broadband packages come with unlimited downloads. But the speed of your downloads may vary during the day. So this affects the amount of data downloadable on any day. For more information, please read our ‘Acceptable use policy’ below.
6. What speed will my broadband be?
Your speed will vary depending on the package you choose. Our packages use either ADSL or Fibre-to-the-Cabinet connections which send data through cables from street cabinets to your home. Your connection may also depend on how far away your home is from these cabinets. Things like the wiring in your home, electrical interference, the weather, other internet traffic will also affect your broadband speeds. Our line checker can give you an estimate for the typical speed your line should support.
7. Will my broadband speed always be the same?
Like all other providers, we have a traffic management policy. This helps us manage the demand at peak times so all our customers get the best service possible. For more information, read our ‘Traffic management policy’ below.
8. What does my wireless router do and can I use a different one?
Your wireless router allows you to connect to your broadband. It’ll set itself up automatically, as long as you have it plugged in, according to the instructions. You can access the internet wirelessly using security keys that come with the router. The security keys protect your wireless network, so it can’t be accessed by other people. You can still connect your device to your router using an ethernet cable if you want a faster connection.
You can also use your own router if you’ve already got one. Get in touch and we’ll tell you how to connect it. But it’s worth noting that if you don’t use our router, it’ll be difficult for us to help if you get a fault.
9. What can I do to improve my internet security?
You can install our Internet Security Suite onto your internet devices. This add-on product provides antivirus and firewall protection along with parental control software. The standard charge for this product is £2 per month. This service can be cancelled at any time by contacting our customer service team.
10. How do I switch my phone and broadband to you?
11. How long does it take to get your phone & broadband service?
Switching to SSE takes around 18 days for most customers. We'll let you know if you need a new line installed when you sign up - an engineering appointment will be arranged for you. We'll send you your start date confirmation around 10 days after you sign up.
12. Do I need a BT line to get your phone and broadband service?
Yes, you’ll need a BT landline or other non-cable telephone line. If you don’t have one, get in touch and we’ll sort one out for you. To check your line, just use our availability checker.
13. What equipment will I get when I buy your phone and broadband?
We'll send you a pack that contains everything you need to get online: wireless router and power supply, filter, network and DSL cables and an easy-to-follow installation guide.
14. What is a micro-filter?
A microfilter or splitter plugs into your telephone connection. It splits the connection between your router and phone so they don’t interfere with each other. Without it, you’d have problems with your phone and broadband service.