If your Pay As You Go meter runs out of credit unexpectedly, don't panic. We'll lend you a limited amount of emergency credit to keep you going until you top up. Your meter will show how much. Go to screen ‘R’ on your electricity meter or screen '22' on your gas meter.
You can use the emergency credit once your credit gets below 50p on an electricity meter or below £2 on a gas meter. It won't happen automatically, so you'll need to action it on your Pay As You Go meter. And you'll need to pay the emergency credit back in full before you can use it again.
Just follow the instructions below.
How to use emergency credit on your Pay As You Go electricity meter
- Insert (or take out and re-insert) your key into your electricity meter. This will activate the emergency credit.
- You'll need to pay back the emergency credit and anything else you owe to return to normal use. To find out the smallest amount you'll need to top up, press the ‘display’ button on your meter once. This amount will pay for the emergency credit you've used, any debt repayments and standing charges.
How to use emergency credit on your Pay As You Go gas meter
- Insert your gas card into your meter.
- You'll then have the option to use the emergency credit. Accept it by pressing the red button ‘A’. This will activate the emergency credit.
- You'll need to top up to return to normal use. Press the red button ‘A’ once to see how much you owe. This is for the emergency credit you've used, any debt repayments and standing charges. If you don't buy enough credit when you top-up, your meter will still leave you with at least 30% of your top-up to use for your gas.
Check your credit before you go away
You may not think about your Pay As You Go meter when you're going on holiday or a business trip. But appliances like fridges and freezers will need to stay on. And your meter will keep taking a daily standing charge and any debt repayments when you're away.
If you run out of credit, there'll be nobody around to start the emergency credit and your supply will stop. So make sure you've got enough credit to last until you get back.
Extra help topping up your emergency credit
If your emergency credit runs out, please top up as soon as possible. If you're unable to top up, we may be able to offer further support. The easiest way is to get in touch. You'll need to pay back any credit you borrow, but we can spread the cost so you pay a little bit at a time. We’ll make sure your repayment plan is affordable.