Need to top up your meter?
What is a Pay As You Go meter?
A Pay As You Go meter (also known as a prepayment or prepaid meter) allows you to pay for your gas and electricity as you use it. It helps you budget for your energy use by showing you how much you use every day. You won't get regular bills from us, but we will send you a yearly statement.
If you have outstanding debts from your past energy bills, we can add these to your Pay As You Go meter to spread it into affordable weekly repayments.
For more information, read our handy guides below. You can download and print them off so they're ready whenever you need them:
Using emergency credit
If you run out of credit unexpectedly, we’ll led you some to keep you going until you top up. Our article explains how to activate your emergency credit.
Lost key or card
If you've lost your key or card, get in touch with us and we'll send you a new one. Just so you know, we might charge you for a replacement.
Faulty Pay As You Go meter
Read our advice on what to check and how to contact us if your Pay As You Go meter stops working.
Getting Pay As You Go meter
We explain what to consider before you get this type of meter and how to get a Pay As You Go meter installed.
Removing a Pay As You Go meter
Find out what you need to do if you’d like to get a Pay As You Go meter removed.
Switching supplier – Debt Assignment Protocol for Pay As You Go meters
Find out how the Debt Assignment Protocol could help you if you have a debt on your meter and want to switch energy supplier.
Why choose a smart Pay As You Go meter?
With a smart Pay As You Go meter and Smart Energy Tracker you can easily view and manage your energy usage.
- See the exact cost of the gas and electricity you're using, in pounds and pence and in real time
- Top up gas and electric credit online anytime – there's no need to go to the shops, unless you want to
- We'll add your credit remotely, so you don't need to do anything with your meter
- Our friendly credit periods keep your supply on if you run out of credit overnight or at the weekend
- Activate emergency credit direct from your Smart Energy Tracker