There are several reasons you might want to move your gas or electricity meter. You might be doing some building work. Or you might be finding it difficult to access or read your meter.

Whatever the reason, you can’t move your meter yourself. In fact, it’s illegal to do so. But who does the work will depend on how far you’re moving your meter and why.

Below you’ll find a guide to getting your gas and electricity meters relocated. We’ll also look into how much moving a meter costs and who might qualify for a free move.

How to move your gas meter

Moving your gas meter up to 90 centimetres

If your meter is inside your home, we can move it up to 90cm from the emergency cut-off valve.

We can only do this if:

  • The meter has a flexible hose connector
  • It’s staying on the same side of the wall
  • The wall is clear

If all these apply, we may be able to move your gas meter for free. You’ll need to contact us to check.

Moving your gas meter more than 90 centimetres

If you want to move your meter further, you need to contact your gas network operator.

You’ll have to pay for this work. The cost depends on the location of the meter and the network operator covering your area. If your gas meter is in a meter box that is partly below the ground, you'll need to pay for a Gas Safe registered engineer to reconnect your internal pipework.

When you contact them, you’ll need to tell them:

  • The full address of the property
  • The property owner’s name and telephone number
  • Your MPRN number – you’ll find this on your bill
  • Details of how far you’re moving the meter

You’ll also need to contact your gas network operator if the meter you want to move is outside your home.

Please contact us and we’ll let you know what we can do to help.

How to move your electricity meter

Moving your electricity meter less than 15 centimetres

We can normally move your electricity meter up to 15cm along its backboard. This is the wooden board the meter is mounted on. A meter move like this is usually done for free.

We can only do this if:

  • The meter is inside your property
  • There’s enough room on the backboard
  • The meter tails are long enough
  • You don’t need any changes to your electricity supply

If all these apply, then please get in touch and we’ll arrange the move for you.

We’ll need to know your MPAN. This is the 21-digit number on your bill, starting with an ‘S’.

Moving your electricity meter more than 15 centimetres but less than 3 metres

We can sometimes move your meter up to 3m on the same wall. You'll need to pay for a new backboard to be fitted. You'll also need to get a qualified electrician to replace the meter tails with longer ones.

If you’re on the Priority Services Register and your meter is blocking access to your home, we may be able to help with the cost.

Please contact us. We’ll book an appointment to visit your home to see what needs doing.

It can take up to 10 days after the visit to let you know whether we can do the work.

You might also need to get some work done by your local distribution company.

Moving your electricity meter more than 3 metres

If you want to move your meter more than 3m, your local distribution company will need to move your mains supply. We can then move the electricity meter itself.

This also applies if you want to relocate the meter to a different wall, the other side of the same wall or a different room.

You’ll also need work done by your local distribution company if your meter is outside your home.

Get in touch and we’ll give you details of your local distribution company. You’ll need your MPAN number and the details of your property to hand.

What is the cost of moving your gas or electricity meter?

If you’re on our Priority Services Register, we may be able to help with the cost.

We can do this if either of the following apply:

  • Your meter is blocking access to your property
  • You’ve got a Pay As You Go meter and you can’t get to it

In these cases, we’ll pay the cost of the main quote. But you’ll need to pay for any extra work needed. This could include work that needs to be done by a qualified electrician or a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Get in touch with us on 0800 622 838 for more information. You can also contact us by Textphone on 0800 622 839 or through our SignVideo service.

If you want to move your meter for any other reason, you’ll normally have to pay the full cost of the move.