It’s vital that gas appliances are regularly checked. Regular maintenance can prevent gas leaks and stop carbon monoxide being released.

If you’re a homeowner, it’s recommended that you get all gas appliances, flues and pipework installed, regularly maintained and serviced annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

If you’re a landlord, you are required by law to make sure any gas appliances owned by you in your properties have annual gas safety checks.

You’ll find more information on gas safety checks and what they involve in our guide below.

What is a Gas Safe Registered engineer?

Gas Safe registered engineers are the only people legally allowed to work on gas heating systems, boilers, cookers, fires and any other gas appliance.

A Gas Safe registered engineer will always carry a badge with the Gas Safe yellow triangle on it. You can check if an engineer is registered by phoning the Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500 or visiting the Gas Safe website.

All of our gas engineers are on the Gas Safe Register.

Which checks are made?

There are different types of gas safety checks.

An Appliance Safety Check includes checking:

  • The operating pressure and heat input of the appliance – this makes sure it is working to the manufacturer’s instructions
  • Any flue or chimney connected to the appliance is working properly – these remove fumes caused by burning gas
  • The appliance is suitable for the room
  • The appliance is properly set up and gas is burning correctly
  • The appliance is correctly fitted and connected to the gas pipes
  • There is an adequate, permanent air supply – gas needs air to burn properly and cleanly
  • All safety devices are operating

A Gas Installation Safety Check includes all of the above appliance checks, plus:

  • All accessible gas pipework is inspected to check it is in good condition
  • The gas pipework is tested for leaks

Afterwards, the engineer may give you a report showing the checks they’ve carried out. This depends on the type of checks carried out.

The only document engineers must provide by law is a Gas Safety Record for Landlords. You can find out more in our gas safety certificates guide.

Gas safety check advice for landlords

If you're a landlord, you are legally required to have a Gas Installation Safety Check done under the Gas Safety (Installation & Use) Regulations 1998.

You must have a gas safety check carried out annually for all appliances owned by you in each of your properties. If an appliance, eg a cooker, is owned by the tenant, you are not legally responsible for having it checked.

The Health and Safety Executive’s website has more information on a landlord’s legal responsibilities.

What is a gas service?

A service of your appliances should include all of the above appliance checks.

This may include cleaning parts of the appliance and analysing the way the gas is burning.

Our Home Services packages include an annual boiler service.

What to do if your gas appliance is condemned

If an appliance is condemned as unsafe as a result of a gas safety check or service, the engineer should explain why and record this in writing.

The appliance must not be used and needs to be replaced urgently.

Go straight to hospital if the engineer tells you the appliance has been emitting carbon monoxide and you have been exposed to it. Tell the hospital you believe you may have been poisoned by carbon monoxide.

If your gas boiler needs replacing our installation service can help. Our fully Gas Safe registered engineers will fit a replacement and take away your old boiler. We'll even fit a carbon monoxide detector absolutely free.

How much does a gas safety check cost?

Prices for a gas safety check can vary depending on where you live and how many appliances in your home need to be checked. It’s always best to get a few quotes to compare.

If you live in rented accommodation, it’s your landlord's legal responsibility to arrange and pay for an annual gas safety check.

You may qualify for a free annual gas safety check, if these four statements describe you:

  • You live in your own home

  • You haven't had a check carried out at the premises in the last 12 months

  • You're on a means-tested benefit

  • You can say one of the following about your living situation:

    • You live with a child under five years of age
    • You or anyone in your household is disabled, chronically sick, or old enough to claim a pension, or under 18 years of age

You can find out more in our Gas Safety Statement.