Everyone should have their gas appliances regularly checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

The engineer may provide a certificate after carrying out the checks. This document is called a Gas Safety Record.

Our guide below explains what Gas Safety Records are and who needs them.

Do I need one?

If you’re a homeowner

You’re not legally required to have a Gas Safety Record. You should still get all your gas appliances checked and serviced every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Ask your engineer to give you any documents which show you’ve had a gas safety check or any other work done.

If you’re a landlord

You must, by law, have a gas safety check every year. This must be done on all gas appliances and installations owned by you in each of your properties.

This is a requirement of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. But if an appliance, eg a cooker, is owned by the tenant, the landlord is not legally responsible for having it checked.

The engineer will provide the landlord with a Gas Safety Record (previously known as a certificate or a CP12).

The record will show:

  • A description of each appliance tested
  • Results of the safety checks carried out on each appliance
  • Any safety issues identified during the checks
  • Any action or work needed to ensure safety
  • Details of the engineer who did the checks, their signature and the date of the check
  • Details of the landlord and the property

If you’re a tenant

Your landlord must provide you with a copy of the Gas Safety Record for the property. They must provide a copy to each tenant within 28 days of the check.

How do I get a certificate and how much does it cost?

A Gas Safe registered engineer will provide a Landlord Gas Safety Record after carrying out a gas safety check.

Our guide to gas safety checks has more information, including who could qualify for a free check.

We can service your boiler for just £90

Our one-off service has a fixed price that includes the call-out fee and labour. All our engineers are Gas Safe registered and you can choose an appointment to suit you.