Cookies are small text files that are stored on your computer or mobile device when you visit websites. Most websites use them.
Cookies can't run computer programs or infect your device with viruses.
The cookies we use help us in the following ways:
- Make our website work correctly
- Remember your settings during and between visits so you don't have to re-enter information
- Improve the speed and security of our website
- Set up web pages so you can share them on social networks like Facebook and Twitter
- Personalise our site for you so you can find what you need faster
- Improve our website for you
- Improve our marketing so you see messages that are relevant to you
The cookies on our website don't:
- Collect any information that someone could use to identify you
- Collect any sensitive information
- Pass information to third parties that someone could use to identify you to third parties
Changing your cookies settings
You can find out how to change your cookie settings and delete cookies on popular browsers at AboutCookies.org.uk.
About the cookies we use
You can find information below about all of the cookies we use and the reasons we use them.
1. Strictly necessary cookies
Strictly necessary cookies are essential to keep our website secure and working as it should. For instance, these cookies:
- Make our tariff and product sign-up processes work properly
- Tell us if you're logged into your account or not
- Remember if you've accepted things like our website services' terms and conditions, so you don't have to tell us again
If you disable these cookies, it's likely you'll have some issues using the site, for example not being able to log in to your online account.
2. Functionality cookies
Functionality cookies remember the choices you've made before so we can make sure our website looks and works the way you like. For example, these cookies can:
- Remember your preferences such as colours, text size and layout
- Remember your search settings
- Show you content that is relevant to you
- Remember if we've already asked you certain questions (for instance, if you previously declined to take a survey)
3. Performance cookies
Performance cookies help us collect anonymous information about the customer experience on our website. We can find out the pages that are visited most frequently, and useful information such as whether visitors have come across any errors.
We use some performance cookies to help us improve our website by testing new design ideas, with the aim of making the website easier for you to use.
We may combine performance cookies data with other information, for example the products and services associated with your account, to help us improve and personalise your website experience even more.
We use these services to place performance cookies on your device:
Oracle Infinity Analytics
We use Oracle Infinity Analytics to gather data about visitors and visits to SSE's websites. This information is then used to improve the services we offer.
Opt out of Oracle Infinity Analytics cookies
We use Google Analytics to gather data about visitors and visits to SSE's websites, with particular focus on whether they have come to the websites from searches on search engines. This information is then used to improve our marketing efforts.
Opt out of Google Analytics cookies
Oracle Maxymiser is used by SSE to test different website designs and content, with data from the tests analysed to help us improve the online experience.
Opt out of Oracle Maxymiser cookies
Opt out of Communicator cookies
We use FreeSpee to report on phone calls generated from the website.
Opt out of FreeSpee cookies
We use Oracle Eloqua to send emails to our customers. Eloqua sets cookies on the website to monitor and report email campaign performance.
Opt out of Oracle Eloqua cookies
Disabling these cookies limits our ability to develop and improve the website in the future.
4. Advertising cookies
Advertising cookies are widely used in online advertising. They allow us to display our adverts to people who are more likely to be interested in our products and services.
You might notice that after visiting our site you see more adverts for our products on other websites. To do this we use ‘remarketing’ advertising cookies. All data is entirely anonymised throughout the remarketing process – nobody, including us, can get personal information about you from any of the advertising cookies we use on our website.
We only work with advertising partners who work within the ‘IAB Europe EU Framework for Online Behavioural Advertising’. More information about this framework can be found at the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance's Your Online Choices website, where you can also find out details about specific behavioural advertising companies, control your preferences for which companies can use your data for this purpose and top tips for managing your online privacy.
We use the following services which place advertising cookies on your device:
Opt out of Google Adwords cookies
Omnicom Affiliate Network
Opt out of Omnicom Affiliate Network cookies
Opt out of Sizmek cookies
By disabling these cookies any advertising you see on other websites won't be related to your visit to this site. You may still see generic adverts from us on other websites.